Pages

Friday 17 January 2014

Review: Shadows (The Rephaim, #1) by Paula Weston

Shadows (The Rephaim, #1)

My Thoughts

It’s almost a year since Gaby Winters was in the car crash that killed her twin brother, Jude. Her body has healed in the sunshine of Pandanus Beach, but her grief is raw and constant. It doesn’t help that every night in her dreams she kills demons and other hell-spawn.

And then Rafa comes to town. Not only does he look exactly like the guy who’s been appearing in Gaby’s dreams—he claims a history with her brother that makes no sense. Gaby is forced to accept that what she thought she knew about herself and her life is only a shadow of the truth—and that the truth is more likely to be found in the shadows of her nightmares.

Who is Rafa? Who are the Rephaim? And most importantly, who can she trust?

Fast-paced and gripping, Shadows, the first book in the Rephaim series.

***

Review:

After having an unhealthy overdosage of the paranormal genre not long ago, the only reason I could think of when I started this book was the glowingly promising reviews on Shadows. 

Of course, I went in frolicking aimlessly into the book, hoping for something unique in exchange from the typical paranormal books but instead, I was rather disappointed to find that it wasn't all that impressive. In fact, it could nearly tick off all the checkboxes for a 'meh' para book. I'd have found this an overall enjoyable read if I weren't so sick and tired of the genre, specifically angels.

To begin with, the plot was average. The characters were average even when I felt they had potential to be more intriguing but no. Because first, they're either arses like Rafa or enemies like Taya so it took me quite sometime to get use to them. Maggie and Jason? They felt flat, period.

Half the time, the plot pretty much drifted aimlessly. I got bored. I didn't know what was supposed to happen. What about Rephaim, what about Nephilim? Wait. Let me recall, aye?
There was bickering with Daniel, Micah and some others who were in the Rephaim. Gabby was supposed to be on their side before her memory got messed up with and for unknown, unexplained reasons, she joins the not Rephaim side. Makes sense? I think not.

What is even more laughable is, Gabby knows how to fight even after she has completely no memory of any fighting stances and blah blah blah. Hellion? No worries! She can separate its head no matter what and not get gobbled up! Ooo!

I finished this in a span of nearly 2 weeks and all I can say is, Shadows didn't left much of an impression on me. It didn't have much that was distinguishable among the other books of the same genre. Honestly, I can't remember much of it because the most of the time, I was glancing through the pages. 

So what can I conclude of Shadows? Well, it'll probably be lost in the mountainous sea of paranormal books I've read.

2/5 Stars

Violette

(On the side note, I'm sorry I haven't be posting frequently! I'm really busy with my secondary school work and stuff. And on 22 January, which is this coming Wednesday, I'll officially open the blog! Yay! *throws confetti*)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bundles of thanks to all that comment!