Pages

Sunday 19 January 2014

Pivot Point (Pivot Point #1) by Kasie West

Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1)

My Thoughts:

Knowing the outcome doesn’t always make a choice easier . . .

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.


***

Review:

If there's a dictionary for books, the definition for Pivot Point would go something like this...

Pivot Point: a book brimming with all sorts of uniquely original awesomeness.

And for the gif, it's 


I started this book without expecting much because it wasn't really my type of book but the author surprised me tremendously. Really, the book wasn't what I had expected and although I honestly hadn't expect anything, it definitely wasn't what I thought West had in line for me.

The characters were all wonderfully crafted, even the stereotypical characters: the better best friend, the star quarterback and of course, the 'boy' best friend (inverted commas for this because the two end up crushing on each other most of the time).


Stereotypical characters usually kind of bore the wits out of me because of their stereotypical-ness, if that makes sense.
However if had thought that I was going to experience another wave of stereotypical characters, I'm damn well wrong because West transforms them so well that even though they still retained the stereotypical part of them, she brings out the best in them and I just can't help but love them into bits. I'm not saying that they're flawless, but it's that flawless part of the characters that made them so likable and real.

Addie was a really connectable and loveable character. She's snarky but not in an overdone manner. *looks at VA innocently* Speaking of which, VA*?

 photo tumblr_mf280zZYWa1qkchh8.gif

As I've said, the snark was perfect and I just can't help but smile at the book sometimes so I'd usually end up looking like a ridiculous grinning Cheshire cat.


And for the plot, it's filled with twists that I genuinely didn't see coming. One moment you think it's like that and then, bam! It catches you off guard by surprise. Well-developed, intriguing, captivating are a few other words that can be used to described Pivot Point too.

Did I enjoy the book? Yes, I definitely did! Would I give this 5 stars? Unfortunately, no. There were a few minor flaws that kept me from fully liking it but overall, I loved it and would recommend if you're into something different for a change. Many have been harping on Pivot Point and all I can say that is that Pivot Point totally deserved it.

*VA is the acronym for Vampire Academy which is by the way, as pleasant as a skunk's dung.

4.5/5 Stars

Violette

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bundles of thanks to all that comment!