Pages

Wednesday 30 July 2014

Review: Ruin and Rising (The Grisha #3) by Leigh Bardugo

Ruin and Rising (The Grisha, #3)

The Description:

The capital has fallen.

The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.

Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.

My Thoughts:

THAT ENDING. THAT FREAKING ENDING. *screams* THAT JUST RUINED MY ENTIRE LIFE.


The whole book was going so well and then BAMZ.  All the grand and intricate plot went down the drain because of THAT ENDING. *screams in utter frustration and desperation*  Why?? Why such an ordinary, common and predictable ending? Couldn't it have been more unique like maybe Mal died and somehow the Darkling married Alina or SOMETHING? Why that? WHY?


I'm not even kidding when I say I didn't want to do anything after reading that book. The ending just ruined me completely. The whole thing was going so, so well until... *sobs* until... THAT ENDING. *sobs sobs* Why? TELL MEH. My heart is hurting over that and I don't ever think it'll be healed. Damn time. If it could, maybe time would rewind and another ending could be written? But no. It's impossible. Surely not improbable.

Alina, it'll be all your fault if my friends think I'm so moody and snappy. Why did u do that? I can't forgive you for that. *screams hoarsely*

Okay... Okay... *breaths in and out* I'll cheer myself up by thinking of all wonderful and praise-worthy things before... *breath hitches* that. The characters were awesome, they were wonderfully developed especially the secondary ones *smiles at thought* And Mal wasn't so annoying. Although I still dislike him. *scowls* Nikolai was up with his sass as usual, zipping one-liners. I can't say I like Alina much, but she's still tolerable as the main character. Leigh is wonderful with plotting as usual (I disagree with that ending, though. Why that when you crazy plotting skills?), always planting surprises and twists and unexpected timings. All these probably would have added up to 5 stars IF NOT FOR THAT ENDING.

That ending just disappointed me really bad and it affected my overall liking for the book. Endings are really important. If you have a really great storyline but an unsatisfying ending, I'm sorry but it won't work out. Knowing how well it went for the first and second book, the conclusion to the third book doesn't quite meet the expectations. It was just so anti-climatic and once again, sounding like a spoilt tape, it was extremely disappointing. Everything I hoped that would not happened, happened. To be honest, the ending affected my liking for the whole trilogy.

So maybe I'll just watch Dan, or Caspar, or Joe, or whichever YouTuber until I stop mourning. Maybe I'll also write another more fabulous ending in that time and hopefully, forget about about the miserable ending.

To wrap it up, I loved Ruin and Rising, but the ending just left me really heartbroken with disappointment. Should you try Ruin and Rising? Well, if you liked the first two books (which you should definitely try), you may not want to try this unless you're prepared for disappointing ending. If you're those kind that love the typical heroes win, villians lose kind of thing, you'll probably love it. But I don't. So there.

Review in gif:

Me at the ending of R&R. Still mad about it. Ice creams didn't help either.


Rating: 3.75/5 Stars

Full rant (about the ending) to come.



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bundles of thanks to all that comment!