Pages

Sunday 11 May 2014

Review: Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)

Description:

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

***
My Thoughts...

The only reason I took Insurgent off the shelf to read was because I went to watch the Divergent movie and it just suddenly popped into my mind that I had Insurgent at home, sitting there pretty much forgotten. Well, except it wasn't forgotten, but I held it off for months since I wasn't that 'excited' to start it after hearing review after review that claimed it disappointing.
Although I didn't hate Insurgent, I didn't like it too much either. There wasn't much promising improvements that could have been made and being forcefully shoved with over-sized information down the throat didn't help either.

How it felt like throughout the book.
Aside from the headache I experienced from the information overload, Tris has transformed into another person entirely. Where I kind of admired her in Divergent, I can only say I felt like yanking out her hair in insurgent. It's still a wonder how she got an Erudite aptitude given her rash actions. Somehow despite acting first without much thinking, things actually worked out as planned for most of the time. Quite unrealistic, don't you think so? Logically speaking, failing to think before acting usually results in nothing but more trouble. Can't blame her, though. There's something abnormal with her divergent brain, isn't there *sarcasm*

Then there's this deal with Four. Excuse me, Tobias. You see, Four is this tough, stern guy who doesn't tolerate any BS from initiates in Divergent. Tobias, on the other hand, is this guy who's like a unpredictable, moody and desperate... creature? Sorry, I can't identify who that guy had turned into anymore.
With that, I'm done with the rather disappointing aspects. Did I seem rather ranty just now? Oh well, now it's time to brighten up your day with the bright side of the book! No sarcasm here.

Even though Veronica's style of writing may not be fanciful, poetic, lyrical--whatever you want call it, she was able to keep me immersed with the story. I wanted to know what was going to happen, what was going on, why it happened. Questions like that sparked my curiosity and that urged me to keep the pages flipping, even with the rather simplistic writing. The pacing was fast, a little overwhelming at times but overall, it was still okay.

I was pleased to find out that the questions that had been left hanging unanswered in Divergent were nicely wrapped up in this book. There were even more questions that surfaced in Insurgent that wasn't exactly answered so I kind of look forward to Allegiant. Especially after that undeniably horrid cliffy at the end of the book. Guys, cliffies suck. They catch you off guard and if you don't have the next book like me to start with immediately, your life feels meaningless until you get your hands on it.

Anyways, I guess that's all I've got to say. It's okay, but it didn't impress me much. Yeah... It's kind of 'meh' in some ways.

Rating: 3/5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment

Bundles of thanks to all that comment!