Pages

Wednesday 26 March 2014

Review: Racing Savannah (Hundred Oaks #4) by Miranda Kenneally

Racing Savannah

They’re from two different worlds.

He lives in the estate house, and she spends most of her time in the stables helping her father train horses. In fact, Savannah has always been much more comfortable around horses than boys. Especially boys like Jack Goodwin—cocky, popular and completely out of her league. She knows the rules: no mixing between the staff and the Goodwin family. But Jack has no such boundaries.

With her dream of becoming a horse jockey, Savannah isn’t exactly one to follow the rules either. She’s not going to let someone tell her a girl isn’t tough enough to race. Sure, it’s dangerous. Then again, so is dating Jack…

I... I...
*takes in deep breath*
I am disappointed.
It's a rare thing for me to say that so straightforwardly but *sighs* I'M HORRIBLY DISAPPOINTED TO THE EXTENT I CAN SCREAM MY HEAD OFF RIGHT NOW. I was sooo excited for this that I even put it under my 'need-to-buy' shelf on Goodreads and yes, I actually bought it as my birthday present but... but... 
*another deep breath* Alright, alright. Enough of that, I don't want to chase everyone away with my overly dramatic wailing so... yeah. Let's get down to business.

 Racing Savannah started on a good start and managed to keep me captivate from then on. The beginnings are always the most crucial part for me because if they don't catch my attention, it's very unlikely I'm going to continue reading it. Miranda has written this aspect pretty well and not only was the beginning that had me flipping the pages, the writing was also rather light and easy and hilarious at times and that had me rooting for more throughout the book.

However, the story went downhill when the romance started overwhelming the plot which left me a little confuse. So is this a romance book? A horse-riding competition sort of book? Or both? Maybe the author intended to incorporate these two elements together but it didn't turn out quite the way as was expected. This resulted in the plot fading into the background and let's just say I wasn't quite thrilled when the romance started invading the story like a swarm of locusts.

The characters were okay-ish except for Rory, and probably won't leave much of an impression on me. Savannah is... normal, I guess? And Jack is your stereotypical rich and cocky guy that the MC just inexplicably comes to fall in love in. The sole aspect that was actually intriguing about him was that he's like a cowboy. Cowboys rock, y'know. Tucker Avery? Does that ring a bell?
Now moving on to Rory, he was awesome. The lines he delivered had me cracking up at times, so bonus points for that.

Judging from the cover, I had thought that the romance would be a light, fluffy and cutesy one. I simply adore this type of romance, rather than those hot, smoldering ones that have me squirming at times so I can't decide if it's an unfortunate thing to experience the latter in Racing Savannah. I wasn't expecting that so I was quite taken back when they-- *shifts uncomfortably* Uh, sorry.

I having a squirm attack right now.

Overall, Racing Savannah didn't really meet my expectations mainly because the plot when a little off-track thanks to the romance and although it wasn't completely bad, I felt it could have done better.

Rating: 3/5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bundles of thanks to all that comment!