Pages

Friday 6 December 2013

Review: The Art of Wishing by Lindsay Ribar

The Art of Wishing

Description:

He can grant her wishes, but only she can save his life.

Margo McKenna has a plan for just about everything, from landing the lead in her high school play to getting into a good college. So when she finds herself in possession of a genie's ring and the chance to make three wishes, she doesn't know what to do. Why should she put her life into someone else's hands?

But Oliver is more than just a genie -- he's also a sophomore at Margo's high school, and he's on the run from a murderer. As he and Margo grow closer, she discovers that it will take more than three wishes to save him.

A whole lot more.

***
Review:

"Nobody ever feels just one way about the other person, Margo. We're so much more complicated than that. I can see a million things you want from me, just like the million things I want from you. Some of them are wonderful. Some are awful. Some contradict each other, and some don't make any sense at all. But none of those things matter, not really. What matters is what you do about them."

Don't judge me, but I loved Aladdin (and his genie. And his monkey. AND Jasmine) when I was a little kid so a book about genies? Oh yeah, count me in.

As much as I want to rave, fangirl, go gaga over this book, I can't. I loved this book mainly because of Anna and St. Clair  Margo and Oliver. They're sooo adorable! Not to mention, the light and humourous batter between them just added to the adorableness between them.
I'm a mood rater, so this'll get 4 stars. However, if I were to switch that part of and let my logical part take over, this'll probably get 2 stars, 3 tops.

I found this a little too simple, too straight-forward, too convenient, which sometimes resulted it making things confusing-- and unrealistic for me. For one, whenever Oliver visits Margo in her room for more than a few times, I must admit, I found it a little unrealistic that neither of Margo's parents caught them in there. It isn't like they're perfectly awesome at being quiet, Oliver actually raised his voice and several occasions, but why doesn't her parents ever check on her? Her parents were present for mostly the first half, but other than that, they just kind of faded into the background.

There were some issues I would appreciate if the author actually went into that. Oliver, biologically, is 16. And he has an apartment. Isn't the minimum age requirement 18? It was stated, very briefly, that all these was settled somehow and mentally, I was wondering how the hell does a 16 years old guy get this done? But again, maybe it's just me to ponder the super general stuff.

Spoiler Alert: Do not continue from this point.

The ending... well, I was actually quite bummed. Okay, so she made a fourth wish and while she was doing so, she only thought of Oliver. What about her parents? Her friends? Literally, the only thing she thought was to be with Oliver because she loved him, no more no less. And technically, she met him for a month or less and she can actually claim that she loves him.



Overall, I liked this. But like I said, I judge by my mood and Margo and Oliver happens to be the reincarnated version of Anna and St. Clair so... *shrugs* yeah.

4/5 Stars

Violette

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bundles of thanks to all that comment!