Pages

Thursday 31 October 2013

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour
 
Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn't seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she's coming to terms with her father's death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.
 
***
 
Once again, Goodreads, I'm glad you recommended something great. Not crappity craps.
 
When I first picked this book, I thought it was just gonna be your typical road trip type of book. Characters that travel all around, fun stuff happens along the way topped with a fluffy romance, some melodramatic thing happens which makes the MC hates herself or whatever and eventually, it ends with an ending that makes you glow. The end.
 
So I picked up this book, opened it and started reading, not expecting very much.
But hey, was I wrong.
 
Although it may seem like a cute and fun story, it has an underlying message. And that is, you shouldn't let anything get into the way of your life.
 
This isn't a tear-jerker, but I did feel like crying sometimes. I don't usually feel for characters, pity tops. It isn't like I'm heartless, I'm just not easily deterred by emotional stuff. I'm a little insensitive (okay, very insensitive). Her writing isn't fantabulous, it was normal and somehow, she makes me feel. I felt like crying for her dead father even though I don't for 90% of the books I've read.
 
I'm still at level 1 of reviewing so hang on with me for a while.
The little additions of receipts, pictures, playlists-- you name it, made the book more realistic. I want to go on a road trip. Now.
 
Morgan Matson just made a road trip seem like the best thing on earth ever.
I want to literally be Amy and experience all the things she does during the road trip. I want to revisit Yosemite again, travel the loneliest road in America, have a sleepover in a car, be Hillary, eat whatever junk food there is, visit Bronwyn and the other characters... Seriously. I really wanna go on a road trip.
 
There were some things worth quoting but being an ultimate lazyass, I would not.
 
For once, there were no melodrama in this book.
No bitches, irradiating people.
All of them were friendly, each with a distinctive personality.
 
Oh well. Maybe Rogers ex-girlfriend but she's still way better than Nora. I mean, a galaxy better.
As for the romance, well, I am overjoyed to announce that Amy didn't spent the whole book appraising Roger's features. Just to let you know, I'm annoyed when the main character always describes the love interest's features which is a sign that their hormones having a fever. And that doesn't happen until the last part of the books so I didn't really minded.
 
I just... love this, okay? I demand and command you to read it. Grab the book off the bookshop shelves and dive in straight away. You will not regret.
 
4.75/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bundles of thanks to all that comment!