Pages

Friday 28 June 2013

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer


The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.
 
***
 
WARNing: CONTAINS SPOILERS

This is definitely not my type of book 'cause simply said, it takes place in the future. I don't like robots and have zero interest in mechanism. But boy, the author sure knows how to capture my heart.

For the first hundred pages, I felt like stopping. I don't know, I just got this bored feeling and felt that the story was going on slowly. I'm glad I continued because after 100 pages of Cinder trying to break out from the cell and Scarlet going frantic over her missing grandmother, things start to get real interesting.

I'll start with the not-so-good points first.

The author didn't elaborate much on the first book so I was actually quite clueless while reading it. Well, I didn't read the first one, Cinder. So I was actually 'blind-reading' if that makes sense. I know what was happening, but I didn't know why, exactly. What is Luna? Why is Earth and Luna on a strained relationship? What is so important about Princess Selene? These are a few questions that had been going through my mind. It was only when the book was going to end when I finally got my answers. 

The good points:

One word. Wonderful. It's... It's just interesting, this cyborg or whatever world. And you might what to scream for joy over this and that is the book has NO INSTA LOVE!!! Let's celebrate!!! But then again somehow, even the relationship between Scarlet and Wolf felt a bit forced. Like the author was forced to put the romance in. Why I said that was that I felt the relationship just suddenly 'popped out'. It was as if the author just remembered to add it in (not a good point but still). 

Very rarely I use this word which is 'gripping'. Ummm yeah. Gripping. This book's definitely interesting and gripping. It had my eyes and attention glued to the book and I couldn't put it down. Which is considered remarkable because I have a short attention span for this type of book (the future-y type of books)

4.5/5 Stars

Violet



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bundles of thanks to all that comment!