Pages

Friday 28 February 2014

Review: The Outside (The Hallowed Ones #2) by Laura Bickle

The Outside (The Hallowed Ones, #2)

Description:

One girl. One road. One chance to save what remains…

After a plague of vampires is unleashed in the world, Katie is kicked out of her Amish community for her refusal to adhere to the new rules of survival. Now in exile, she enters an outside world of unspeakable violence with only her two “English” friends and a horse by her side. Together they seek answers and other survivors—but each sunset brings the threat of vampire attack, and each sunrise the threat of starvation.

And yet through this darkness come the shining ones: luminescent men and women with the power to deflect vampires and survive the night. But can these new people be trusted, and are they even people at all?

In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, it’s up to one Amish girl to save her family, her community, and the boy she loves . . . but what will she be asked to leave behind in return?


***


Before I start the review, I apologize for being inactive for a looong period of time. I had to revise for the oh-so-dreaded tests. And this week, I had 7 in total which is totally, unbelievably insane.

Most people would compare the second book with the first one but I'm not going to that because to be fair, I can't remember much of the story since I read it ages ago. However, I did remember that The Hallowed Ones left a pretty good impression on me and I enjoyed it a lot so I was pretty excited to see what Laura had in line for her readers.
The Outside was amazing. Even if The Hallowed Ones was better, I wouldn't have noticed because I loved them equally much.

After Katie gets kicked out from her community (to put it bluntly) along with Alex and Ginger into the 'outside', they have to depend on each other for survival. Laura has written this aspect really well and I loved seeing how each of the characters went through their journey together even with vampires around the corners. *shudders* They helped each other fight off those gruesome creatures, find food and shelter, you name it, despite the obstacles they had to overcome along the way. They won't leave each other until the journey is finished. I loved how tight their friendship was.

Next up, the Amish culture pretty much influences the plot and this aspect was done really well too. It's great to experience the culture since y'know, Amish cultures are rarely written in books so it's something different for a change.

The Outside was a page-turner. And what made it a page-turner? Why, the suspense, of course! It kept me at the edge of my seat, half-anticipating and half-afraid that the vampires could pop out anytime. Which means for all you know, that FedEx guy could be a vampire. Inside that innocent-looking truck, there could be vampires. You open your window expecting to see tree branches and instead, a pale gaunt hand reaches for you. I'm not the kind of person where I get freaked out by horror stories, but The Outside managed to give me the creeps.

Overall, The Outside was a delightful and suspenseful sequel to its predecessor. Would recommend if you're into horror books.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Bundles of thanks to all that comment!