Pages

Tuesday 10 December 2013

Review: The Dark Unwinding (The Dark Unwinding, #1) by Sharon Cameron

The Dark Unwinding (The Dark Unwinding, #1)

Description:

When Katharine Tulman’s inheritance is called into question by the rumor that her eccentric uncle is squandering away the family fortune, she is sent to his estate to have him committed to an asylum. But instead of a lunatic, Katharine discovers a genius inventor with his own set of rules, who employs a village of nine hundred people rescued from the workhouses of London.

Katharine is now torn between protecting her own inheritance and preserving the peculiar community she grows to care for deeply. And her choices are made even more complicated by a handsome apprentice, a secretive student, and fears for her own sanity.

As the mysteries of the estate begin to unravel, it is clear that not only is her uncle’s world at stake, but also the state of England as Katharine knows it.

***
Review:

Usually, I'd take a day or two to finish a book. However, if the plot is slow-moving and boring, it's an entirely different thing. The time I take to finish is most likely prolonged.

I took 4 solid days before I could declare that I've finished this book. I'm not implying that the whole book was insipid and slow-paced, but the first good 70% was.

Although I did think that the part was indeed necessary, there were many details which were kind of excessive and not required for the story. This resulted in the slow-pacing of the plot.

The last 30% took a turn and that was when the plot really picked up. I do agree that there were really good twists and turns. Action was thrown in too and by that point, I was finally captivated by the plot.

As for the characters, Katherine wasn't exactly the most likable one for the first hundred pages. She can be stubborn and rude (she interrupts--rudely, if that's even possible) at times in which I sometimes have the resist the urge to bring a hammer down on her head. But as the plot progresses, she improved and she she sort of grew on me anyway.

Lane was described as a 'dark, moody, and prone to an angry expression' guard dog by Ben. He was, but 
not unlike Katherine, he was nicer as the plot progressed and grew on me.

The Dark Unwinding promised romance--it says in my copy 'With twists and turns at every corner, this heart-racing adventure will captivate readers with its thrills and romance.'
I don't get it, there wasn't any prominent romance unless you count the days Lane and Kat spent rolling in the ballroom together and Lane 'piercing' Kat with his stormy grey eyes. Other than that, I can't think of anything that's romantic. Not like I'd care, anyway.

Overall, The Dark Unwinding had potential to earn itself 4 stars if not for the utterly slow-pacing for well over half of the book.

3.5/5 Stars

Violette

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bundles of thanks to all that comment!